[Pdx-pm] Dependency Hell

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Mon Mar 8 20:16:10 CST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> I'm trying to install File::Spec which needs Test::More but Test::Simple
> needs a piece of File::Spec.  Any ideas as to how I can get past this?

Install everything simultaneously?

Seriously, try manually installing one of the modules, instead of doing it
through the CPAN shell. (That is what you're doing, right?) If that module
refuses to go first, find out which one will go first. And you could
install a module even if its tests fail (but consider going back and doing
it again, too, once you can run the tests).

Also, if you're installing anywhere outside the standard @INC paths on
your system, be sure that you have PERL5LIB (or equivalent) set properly,
else your later-installed modules won't be able to find the earlier ones.

Hope this helps!

--Tom Phoenix