[Pdx-pm] RE: [Off Topic] *nix Question

Dennis McNulty dennis at giantfir.com
Sat Jul 24 01:13:51 CDT 2004

I wish I had your problem.  Where I work, our IT dept is trying to get
rid of Linux machines to free up extra funds to fight off the frequent
viruses that affect their MSWin machines.

Cygwin from RedHat is good if you still want your Windows apps available
at the same time.  You can also run your laptop as a server with ftpd,
mysql and apache, and you can get all the development tools for console
applications.  It's great for beginners and dabblers.  I haven't had
much luck with using X-Windows apps with it, though.

If you want to test GUI apps (such as KDE or Gnome desktops), there are
several Linuces that boot and run from CD, then let you store data files
on your hard drive or a USB key.   Two I can think of are Knoppix and
Mandrake Move.   Of you want to do GUI development, a CD can't hold
enough libraries, so I'd reccommend a full distribution such as RedHat
or Mandrake (my favorite) and put it on an old machine.  Dual-booting is
a hassle if you have to switch OSes more than twice a day.  VMWare is
rather expensive, about as much as buying another old machine.

-  Dennis McNulty
   (retiring in a year)