[Pdx-pm] T-Shirt Tag Line

Joe Oppegaard joe at radiojoe.org
Mon Jul 19 14:47:24 CDT 2004

> > On Jul 19, 2004, at 12:00 PM, darthsmily wrote:
> >
> >> Give PERL a whirl.
> >

> > Damn! What's with all of this "PERL" crap? It's "Perl"!
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> Practical Extraction and Report Language.
>
> So, technically it should be P.E.R.L.
> When People see it with the dots, they'll read the letters, instead of
> the work, so it wouldn't rhyme as well with whirl.
>
> However I do recognize the fact the the name has taken on a life of it's
> own. Like B.A.S.I.C.

  From perlfaq1(1):

    What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

     One bit.  Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :-) Larry now uses "Perl" to
     signify the language proper and "perl" the implementation of it, i.e.
     the current interpreter.  Hence Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can
     parse Perl."  You may or may not choose to follow this usage.  For
     example, parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl" look
     OK, while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do not.  But never write
     "PERL", because perl is not an acronym, apocryphal folklore and post-
     facto expansions notwithstanding.

-Joe