[Pdx-pm] Net::SSH::Perl

Ben Prew bprew at logiccloud.com
Thu Jan 29 19:04:01 CST 2004

Robby Russell wrote:

> Austin Schutz typed this on 01/29/2004 12:53 PM:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:45:22PM -0800, Robby Russell wrote:
>>
>>> Austin Schutz typed this on 01/29/2004 12:15 PM:

>>> From the readkey area of the output:
>>>
>>> 24548
>>> open("/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Term/ReadKey/ReadKey.so",
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> 24548 write(1, "Password: ", 10)        = 10
>>

>>     I think the important part is actually:
>>
>> dev: Received encryption confirmation.
>> dev: RSA authentication failed: Can't load public key.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> dev: Doing challenge response authentication.
>> Password:
>>

>>     the part where it fails to load the pub key. It should be trying
>> to open $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa.pub or similar. That is, unless I misread your
>> original email. It looked like you were trying to do password-less rsa
>> auth.
>

> I was just assuming that this is where it is trying to read/load the
> key. The file exists where I am pointing it to. Not sure why it can't
> open the file to load the key.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I know in the past I have been
bit by incorrect permissions on my key files.

I believe private key files must not be readable, writeable or
executable by anyone but the owner, (aka chmod 600 $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa).

I don't remeber what public keys need to be, but I would expect it to
have similar restrictions.  Also, on the remote server you are trying to
connect to, you must have your public key listed in the remote
authorized_hosts file (located in $HOME/.ssh/), which I believe can only
be writable by the owner (ie chmod 644 $HOME/.ssh/authorized_hosts).

Lastly, if your private key (which is on the local machine) has a
password associated with it, you will need to type that password in to
load it, or use some program that will load the private key into memory.
  ssh-agent is what I use on Linux, and on windows I use pageant.