[Pdx-pm] How quickly could you learn Ruby?

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Fri Jan 23 00:27:40 CST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:35:28PM -0800, Phil Tomson wrote:
<cross platform stuff snipped>

	I don't do a lot of cross platform stuff (unless you count different
unixes), so I'll skip my uneducated recommendation, except to say that
python features a java implementation that will run under a jvm and
interface well with java junk, if you care.

> So, that's why I post here to the Portland Perl Monger's.  How about it -
> if you had a copy of "Programming Ruby" (full text online here:
> http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/ ) how long do you think it would
> take you to come up to speed with Ruby and be productive?

	How about you get me a copy and I'll tell you? ;-)
	In my experience it takes about a week to get reasonably productive
with a language, and a few months before you learn how to not have most of the
language's nuances bite you in the ass.

	Austin