[Pdx-pm] meeting location

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Fri Feb 6 01:49:01 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 05:31:35PM -0800, Randall Hansen wrote:
> also, maybe we want to talk with free geek first.  as i understand it,
> their major objection to wifi is the perceived* security risk.  if we
> drop an access point inside their firewall we may be breaking their
> security policies.

Last I talked to them about it, their practical reason for not using WiFi
is nobody's throwing out working 802.11b equipment.

Beyond that, some folks there aren't thrilled about encouraging it.  Issues
about the amount of palladium and other precious metals used in its
manufacture.  And I know some folks there don't like the idea of encouraging
WiFi because it encourages lots of extra radio transmitters
which ties in with "cell-phones / power lines cause cancer".  Kinda silly
given how much EM all the enormous old monitors and machines they've got
are throwing out.  But we're the guests.

Security didn't come into it.  After all, physical security is so lax
there that anyone can waltz in, grab and ethernet line and plug in their
laptop.  The internal and external security on their network is good
enough that you can't do much damage from there anyway.

Anyhow, last I brought it up was over the summer and it was in reference
to a permenant WiFi setup.  I don't think they'll mind one as long as we
ask and its temporary.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Here's hoping you don't harbor a death wish!