[Pdx-pm] Perl Development on Windows

David Pool dpool at hevanet.com
Thu Dec 30 21:07:44 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 18:06, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:28:26PM -0500, DHMedley at aol.com wrote:
> > My experience with VMWare was many years ago and not very satisfactory ; I stayed away from "virtual" anything for a couple of years.  It has probably improved, and I wouldn't know.  I have Virtual PC running most everything I need to, including W2K3 Server for IIS 6.0 work.
>
> VMWare has gotten a lot better.  Last time I saw it in use was around 2002
> and it was to get at IE, Word, Excel and to test out their system with
> Windows printing and sharing.

That's encouraging, I found VMWare to be somewhat painful in 2003, but
it's hard to factor in how much of the hurt is just Windows itself.

> Nowadays there are alternatives to VMWare, I just don't know them off the
> top of my head.
>

> > My point of the original post was that if the gentleman asking for help was going to have to work on a Windows machine, rather than just FOR one, he could have his *NIX without pain.
>
> I think the point is more how to have your Windows without pain. :)

I'm personally happy working on Fedora Core II myself, but have a client
who's coming at things from the Windows side of things. I've really
appreciated all of the suggestions. I'm sure it will help us find a path
towards productivity.

David