[Pdx-pm] UNIX NL verses MS(DOS) CRLF

Roderick A. Anderson raa at mailporter.net
Tue Aug 31 13:40:37 CDT 2004

Tom Phoenix wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>

>>I'm using Marc Overmeer's Mailbox collection to process spam folders
>>(mailboxen) and any time the process (re)writes the file I end up with
>>NLs instead of CRLFs.  This causes all kinds of heart-ache and
>>discontent with the users as they can't pop the messages back using
>>Outlook.
>>

>It sounds like you're using code which wasn't written to be portable to
>non-Unix machinery. If you're willing to fix it, you could perhaps hack it
>to use $\ , which could be set at the time the file is opened. I haven't
>looked at the code, though; it might be easier to search for uses of \n in
>the code and replace each one with $LINE_ENDING or some such.

Thanks Tom,

Well I think the code is portable but my implementation isn't that good.

    The files are on a Windows machine.
    The directory (folder) is shared (exported).
    The share is mounted on a Linux box.
    The program is running on the Linux box.

Is there some way for the module to determine this?  Well besides
reading several lines of the file looking for CRLF  or CR (Mac) verses
NL.  I'm not sure how the files are being opened with either just an
open() or or some other lower level method.  The module collection is a
monster but using it means I can point fingers when things don't work
quite right. (Then help debug where I can -- like now. :-)
   Right now I'm looking for a quick fix and will be trying Joe's
suggestion until I can get it done up right.

>If you don't want to change the code, you could post-process the mailbox
>file to put the CRLFs back in. That's going to be slower, though, compared
>to fixing the module.

I'd rather not mess with others work.

>Speaking of portability, be sure to use binmode if you're going to handle
>lines ends directly, so that Perl won't garble your files.
>
>Good luck with it!

Thanks again,

Rod
--