[Pdx-pm] UNIX NL verses MS(DOS) CRLF

Roderick A. Anderson raa at mailporter.net
Tue Aug 31 11:25:17 CDT 2004

Sorry but this may come through twice.  I forgot how I was subscribed.

I haven't found the answer ... yet and I am looking at perldoc.com, but
I'll ask here 'cause the search isn't going well.

I am processing files on a Windows system from a Linux system that has the
share as a SMB mount.  I'm using Marc Overmeer's Mailbox collection to
process spam folders (mailboxen) and any time the process (re)writes the
file I end up with NLs instead of CRLFs.  This causes all kinds of
heart-ache and discontent with the users as they can't pop the messages
back using Outlook.
   Is there a setting I can use 'perl-wise' to make all "\n" writes be
"\r\n".  The perlport man pages indicate to me that $/ applies to read not
write and the example only shows one character being used.

Of course given my record this is a samba issue or I totally missed the
correct man page.

TIA,
Rod
--