[Pdx-pm] soap/perl/java

Chris Dawson cdawson at webiphany.com
Wed Apr 7 12:45:30 CDT 2004

I have been using perl SOAP for a while now and really like the
simplicity compared to other toolkits.  I have a project, however, where
I need to use a third party java library (.jar) to do work backend
work.  I was thinking of using Inline.pm to run the java code, and then
have this perl wrapper also manage the SOAP interface, calling into the
java when necessary.  The java is actually going to run a subshelled
compiled C program...  This may be a vague question, but I will ask it
anyway.  Does anyone have experience using perl in this way, in other
words, to manage a java interpreter in a program which will sit as a
daemon for long periods of time?  Are there tricks I can use to minimize
startup time of the java interpreter?  Is this generally a bad idea?
For example, my code will likely do something as follows:  run the perl
program, bring up the SOAP server, wait for a command; upon a start
command, start the JVM and execute until the stop command is processed.
Any thoughts?

Thx,
Chris