[Pdx-pm] Hash question

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Nov 24 15:09:37 CST 2003

On 21 Nov 2003, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> I think it's even been shown that iteration is better:
>
>     my @array = $db2->DataHash();
>     while (@array) {
>       $SignUpInfo{shift @array} = shift @array;
>     }

Very cool.  Amazingly simple once you see it.

> Of course, I'm cheating here, knowing that the left side
> is eval'ed before the right.  If you don't want that much magic:

This is a great point to keep in mind.  Magic works for me.  And when
someone else looks at the code I can impress the hell out of them with
this neat trick.  :-)

>     my %tmp = $db2->DataHash();
>     while (my ($k, $v) = each %tmp) {
>       $SignUpInfo{$k} = $v;
>     }

I was hoping to avoid this as it seemed _so_ sledge-hammerish.  I used it
for awhile but wasn't happy with the concept.  I really like the one
above.

Thanks for the insight.

Rod
--
  "Open Source Software - Usually you get more than you pay for..."