[Pdx-pm] tilde in paths

Joshua Keroes jkeroes at eli.net
Thu Nov 20 15:55:36 CST 2003

On Nov 20, 2003, at 1:54 PM, Thomas Keller wrote:

> Greetings,
> Forgive my laziness for not searching for the answer to this. But does
> someone off the top of their head know how to open a file with a tilde
> in the path?

Found in /usr/local/perl581/lib/5.8.1/pods/perlfaq5.pod
        How can I translate tildes (~) in a filename?

        Use the <> (glob()) operator, documented in perlfunc.  Older
versions
        of Perl require that you have a shell installed that groks
tildes.
        Recent perl versions have this feature built in. The File::KGlob
module
        (available from CPAN) gives more portable glob functionality.

        Within Perl, you may use this directly:

                $filename =~ s{
                  ^ ~             # find a leading tilde
                  (               # save this in $1
                      [^/]        # a non-slash character
                            *     # repeated 0 or more times (0 means me)
                  )
                }{
                  $1
                      ? (getpwnam($1))[7]