[Pdx-pm] saving state with CGI.pm

Ovid poec at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 12:21:47 CST 2003

--- Austin Schutz <tex at off.org> wrote:
> 	One way to do it is to use cookies. Benefits are that you don't
> have to save any state yourself and the user can go back to any part of the
> form at any point in the future and still access their data. You can set
> cookies at any part of your website and have them readable everywhere, sort
> of like global variables.

Er, sorry, but I have to say that this is a terrible idea.

  http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/15165
    (my credit card number and pin was stored in a cookie)
  http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/13542
    (Friendster stored password in cookie)
  http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/13471
    (Microsoft abuses cookies and a young lady may have gotten in trouble
     because a cookie revealed the location of her online journal)

You can read about those horror stories of storing user data in the cookies.  One response might
be "store everything *but* sensitive data in the cookie", but at that point, it means you already
have a server-side mechanism for maintaining state and you no longer need to rely on the cookie.

Cheers,
Ovid

=====
Silence is Evil            http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/philosophy/indexdecency.htm