[Pdx-pm] Perl executables...

Chris Dawson cdawson at webiphany.com
Wed May 21 18:39:01 CDT 2003

Well, I have used perl2exe quite a bit.  We like at work because we often
don't want to distribute the source code to a program, and we don't have
to ask someone to install perl or extra perl modules.  In corporate
atmospheres people are very wary about installing anything with an
installer, and windows permissions often don't allow much if you are not
an admin anyway.  So, distributing a .exe is often much better.  Granted,
it is basically perl+script in one big file, but size is not so much an
issue in these situations as is the machine lock down that their IT
departments have imposed.  They usually have big pipes but not big balls.
An .exe is much less threatening, though I am not commenting on the
rationality of that.  And, I know this is not a secure way to "hide" our
source code, but for these clients who are scared of perl I am not too
worried about that.

For me, it works really well and is a cheap way to write a quick .exe, and
you can even use Tcl/Tk for GUI programs.

Chris