[Pdx-pm] Perl organization

Joshua Keroes jkeroes at eli.net
Thu Mar 27 16:29:02 CST 2003

We're redeploying Perl at our company. Thus far we'll probably install
Perl 5.8.0 into /opt/perl580 (and later versions into similar
directories). We'll also start using ingy's only module for better
testing and fallback support. A proposal about C libraries has
also been launched about where to put the C libraries that the Perl
modules rely on.

This is the currently proposed setup:

/opt/perl580 		- perl prefix
/opt/perl580/_only	- only's base directory
/opt/perl580/clib	- C libraries used by this Perl.

What are the pros and cons of putting C libraries under this directory?
Would it be better to use a tool like Gnu stow instead? Moreover, is
this a Good Idea, a Bad Idea or an Ugly Idea?

Thanks,