[Pdx-pm] OSCON & PDX.pm

Joshua Keroes jkeroes at eli.net
Tue Jun 17 11:47:35 CDT 2003

On (Mon, Jun 16 23:02), Tom Phoenix wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Clint Moore wrote:
>
> > Treasure Hunt: I'll help set this up if anyone else is interested in it.
>
> Many (most?) people coming for OSCON won't have a car, if past years are
> any guide. I like the idea of a treasure hunt, but it's probably got to be
> limited to, say, the Fareless Square area. Not that that is too severe a
> limitation, since it includes Powell's Books, Mill Ends Park, and Pioneer
> Square, which would all make good treasure hunt sites.
>
>     http://www.trimet.org/schedule/maps/fareless.htm
>
> Maybe the pdx-pm booth can have whatever-it-takes for people to get
> started on the treasure hunt.

That gives people a reason to visit the booth - people could sign up on
cartels, I mean teams, get the list, etc.

We could then review all of the scavengers parties' found treasure a
night or two later hopefully in the conference's big room.

> I wonder how much interest there will be in a treasure hunt. Not to be
> pessimistic or anything, but don't put so much work into this that you'll
> be bummed out if only a couple of people try it out.

If we the scavenger hunt, perhaps putting a number of easy options at
the top of the list would engage people. Hmm, that's probably a
no-brainer, huh? ;-)

> > Pub Crawl: I will volunteer to shuttle people around since I don't
> > drink.
>
> That's a good idea, too, although it might be even better if you can show
> people how to use the free transit system downtown. But I'm looking
> forward to someone who knows good beer saying, "Gee, they really do have
> good beer in Portland!"

Two "close" pubs:

+ Rogue Brewhouse, 1339 NW Flanders St. - just up from Powell's, they
  have Real Beer on tap.

+ The Old Lompoc, 1616 NW 23rd Ave. - humble bar, good beer, great
  garden out back. An excuse to take the streetcar?

$0.02,
-J