[Pdx-pm] how to append to library path?

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Mon Dec 15 21:52:54 CST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 06:14:26PM -0800, Tom Phoenix wrote:
> But how would the system-wide Perl binary know where to find that file?
> The path to _something_ has to be compiled into Perl. So, as Randal said,
> Larry chose the simpler route of compiling the @INC paths, rather than a
> specific filename.

	Sure, but it seems pretty reasonable to make it possible to modify
the path, maybe by having perl read some sort of (possibly precompiled)
config file, like e.g. sendmail does.
	I dunno, sometimes it's nice to have something _just work_ system wide
without having to recompile a big program such as perl and probably break 50
other things at the same time. Compiling is also a big PITA, especially on
systems that have hobbled development systems by default, e.g. solaris.
Also as a perl geek it goes against my nature. What can I say, I'm spoiled.

	But then again, I seem to be the contrarian most of the time :-)

	Austin

p.s. those chocolate chip cookies from last time rocked!