[Pdx-pm] [SOLUTION] Telephone number sorting

mikeraz at PATCH.COM mikeraz at PATCH.COM
Fri Sep 27 19:38:29 CDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:53:02PM -0700, Joshua Keroes typed:
> > Q: What's the fastest, most space-efficient way to sort all
> >    of Portland's 503 phone numbers?
>
> A: Use a bit vector. To allocate enough space for all
> 10,000,000 numbers, allocate 10,000,000 bits. [1]
>
> To signify that a telephone number is in use, turn the bit on.
>
> e.g. to indicate that the number 411 is in use, turn the 411th bit on.

Did I miss the begining of this thread or is that solution
unrelated to the problem description?

--
      Michael Rasmussen  aka  mikeraz
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity

   The fortune cookie says:
Q:	How did you get into artificial intelligence?
A:	Seemed logical -- I didn't have any real intelligence.