[Pdx-pm] Software development and The Rules

Curtis Poe cp at onsitetech.com
Thu Sep 26 17:44:58 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Keroes" <jkeroes at eli.net>
> To answer your first question, yes, I'm defining "space" to mean "memory".
>
> Believe it or not, you can do even better than three bytes per digit.
You're
> getting warm.
>
> -J

In that case, since you specified only 503 area codes, you can simply drop
them (I'm assuming that chromatic was implying the same thing and that
Joshua actually meant "three bytes per phone number").

There are only X number of prefixes, so if there are less than 512 of them,
you can represent them with only 9 bits and the final 4 digits can be
represented with 14 bits, so that would be 1 bit less than three bytes per
phone number.

??

Cheers,
Curtis