[Pdx-pm] [SOLUTION] Telephone number sorting

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Wed Oct 16 20:12:14 CDT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Joshua Keroes wrote:
> > Q: What's the fastest, most space-efficient way to sort all
> >    of Portland's 503 phone numbers?
> e.g. To indicate that telephone number 555-1234 is in use, turn the
>      5,551,234th bit on.

Just a heads up -

The overhead of packing and unpacking sub-word quantities makes this
approach less efficient than it might appear. Modern architectures have a
large datapath and referencing individual bits will introduce additional
work. This is reflected in how, for example, booleans are represented with
32-bit variables in Java and C++ implementations.

More info:

M. Stephenson and J. Babb and S. Amarasinghe.  Bitwidth Analysis with
Application to Silicon Compilation.  In Proceedings of the SIGPLAN
conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, Vancouver,
British Columbia, June 2000.

Tyler

Tyler F. Creelan
College of Engineering