Parse::RecDescent and autotree

Colin Kuskie ckuskie at dalsemi.com
Mon Jun 17 11:06:39 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 09:39:53AM -0700, Tom Phoenix wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Colin Kuskie wrote:
>
> > use lib '~/perl/modules';
>
> Does that do anything useful?

Actually, since P::RD isn't installed anywhere else aside from my
private modules directory, it does something very useful, and it works
:)

> You could use your HOME
> environment variable, if you must, but it's probably better to explicitly
> use the directory's correct name.

Ideally, when I release the code to the rest of the group, P::RD should
be added to our perl install, so I won't need it.

> > use Data::Dumper;
>
> You said in your earlier message that Data::Dumper complained about
> something. From the looks of things, DD should be giving you a better
> error message than that; maybe you should find out why it's complaining
> and improve the diagnostic. (Of course, a newer version of the module may
> already have fixed this, so check that first.) My guess: It got confused
> by a regex from qr//. (Those didn't exist when DD was written, I'm pretty
> sure.)

Exactly right.  Once I understood that, I quickly moved the script over
to a machine with a more modern perl/DD (our Solaris workstations still
run Solaris 2.6, and perl 5.005_03) then DD worked great.

However, it still doesn't explain why P::RD doesn't work as
advertised.  Maybe I should send this over to Dr. Conway and see what
shakes.

Colin
TIMTOWTDI