FW: Lynx???

Joshua Keroes joshua_keroes at eli.net
Tue Jul 9 16:37:33 CDT 2002

If that's all you're doing, a shell script will suffice:

	#!/bin/sh

	lynx -dump "http://www.moreover.com/cgi-local/page?feed=239&o=xml" > news.xml

If you intend on doing something else with the data, perl is keen. Here's
a one-liner to do the same thing, kinda. This one accepts the url as an
argument and lets you redirect the output to a file of your choosing.

	perl -MLWP::Simple -e "getprint(shift)" \
	  "http://www.moreover.com/cgi-local/page?feed=239&o=xml" \
	  > news.xml

(n.b. the URL has an '&' in it and needed to be quoted)

-Joshua

On (Tue, Jul 09 14:29), Aaron Kilbey wrote:
> Aloha everybody -
>
> I'm attempting to issue an http request through lynx to save an XML file
> to a local server.
> Here's the code:

> newsdump.pl
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> system("lynx -dump http://www.moreover.com/cgi-local/page?feed=239&o=xml
> > news.xml");
>

> 1. When I do: "bash$ perl newsdump.pl" I get a zero length news.xml
>
> 2. When I do: "bash$ perl newsdump.pl > news.xml" I get a news.xml that
> is a numbered list of the news links which is not XML.
>
> 3. When I run http://www.moreover.com/cgi-local/page?feed=239&o=xml in a
> web browser, I get the XML document.
>
> I need to have the ability to call this script to automatically retrieve
> and save the new file. Please help.
>

> -Aaron Kilbey
>
> TIMTOWTDI
TIMTOWTDI