Module Installation Question

mharris at lclark.edu mharris at lclark.edu
Thu Feb 14 13:31:55 CST 2002

Hi,

I new to the PDX perl mongers and this is my very first posting.  If
I'm not folowing protocol or proper group etiquette, then please let me
know.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Question:  I am trying to install a module on a Win32 system which has
not been pre-compiled or tested on a Win32 system.  The module's name
is "Algorithm::Permute" and I downloaded it from CPAN.  Now, I've tried
to read as much documentation as I can find on installing and compiling
modules, but I've come accross an error message for which I can find no
solution.  Here's the scenario:

I extracted the tar.gz file to a tar file and then further extracted
the tar file to the directory c:\perl\permute.  Next, from the command
prompt, I typed 'perl makefile.pl' to run the makefile program included
with the module.  Now here is where my problem lies.  I execute 'nmake'
from the command prompt from the same directory and get the following
error message:

'NMAKE : fatal eror U1081: 'cl' : program not found'

The line before this error message ends with 'permute.c', so I'm
wondering if the error is caused by this file being misnamed.  I'm not
too familiar with nmake or other compilers, and thus have a limited
ability deciphering nmake error messages.  I've also tried copying the
*.pm files that came with the module directly into my c:\perl\lib
directory, but that didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated, although I know that if I were just
running Unix, I probably wouldn't have this problem.  Thanks again for
your time.

Matt

TIMTOWTDI