Alphabet

E J moiraine at qwest.net
Fri Feb 8 22:04:43 CST 2002

> =====
> "Ovid" on http://www.perlmonks.org/
> Someone asked me how to count to 10 in Perl:
> push at A,$_ for reverse q.e...q.n.;for(@A){$_=unpack(q|c|,$_);@a=split//;
> shift at a;shift at a if $a[$[]eq$[;$_=join q||, at a};print $_,$/for reverse @A

so how would you say (print..?) the alphabet. I wrote a script to
display (in my browser) a list of the doc directories in my
/usr/share/doc dir by the letter of the alphabet.  Apache's index
listing didn't do it for me, because it displayed *all* of them, and
took quite a while.

This is the default output of the script.
-----------
Alphabet

Pick a Letter:
a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x
y  z

----------

Alphabet is a link back to this page.
Each letter is a link thusly:
docs.cgi?letter=X
where X is the letter that you want.

This is the pertitant portion of the script;
my $alphabet = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
for $item (split //, $alphabet) {
    print $q->a({-href=>"docs.cgi?letter=$item"},$item),"\ \n";
}

---------

It's a cheesy little question, but one I was seeing a way to
obsfucate...er...however you spell that.

TIMTOWTDI