[Pdx-pm] sort issues.

Tom Phoenix rb-pdx-pm at redcat.com
Fri Aug 30 13:21:35 CDT 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Roth, Gabrielle wrote:

> #Note:  this hash is created when the script is run.
> #I hard-coded it in here to simplify the problem (that was my theory, at
> least)

That may explain this...

> %portName = (
>         1.1 => "smith",

>         1.10 => "tahquitz",

The big arrow implicitly quotes a bareword to the left. But 1.10 is not a
bareword, so that doesn't work. That second one files "tahquitz" under a
key of "1.1", wiping out your previous entry.

> 2.  One of (1.1|1.10) goes missing;

...and now you know where it went. :-)

Others have posted some methods of doing the sort which should work,
although I haven't looked too closely. But maybe you should simplify the
problem. Instead of 1.1, use 1.01 and your life will be that much easier.
(Of course, if you ever have to go past 1.99, you'll regret that. But I
have a hunch that this should help.)

Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix