[Pdx-pm] Custom Ethernet frames

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Tue Aug 27 01:23:50 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:39:47PM -0700, Austin Schutz wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 06:37:46PM -0700, Jason Annin-White wrote:
> > Some associates of mine would like to put a couple of high end boxes on either side of a router and simulate a high traffic network so we can gather some statistics and do some tests.  We would like to create Ethernet frames that carry various protocols, but would settle for just IP packets.  It would require that the frames contained custom MAC addresses so we can simulate hundreds of sources and destinations.
> >
> > Can anybody point out a useful perl module or opensource test suite for this task?
> >
> > Jason White
>
> 	AFAIK there is no such tool. You might try using Inline with the
> C library 'libnet', which is also used as the basis for tcpdump, etc.

	s/tcpdump/ping and traceroute/.  tcpdump uses libpcap. Actually, there
is a module - Net::RawIP - that has low level capabilities, but it's basically
read only, as it also uses libpcap. You can peek at incoming ether frames but
you can't build them.
	You may end up better off using an existing C based tool such as
udpgen:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/sebastian.zander/private/udpgen/

	and modifying it to use random mac addrs. You would have better
performance than you would be able to coax from perl anyway.

	Austin