OSU CS 372 ---> Hunting for cisco routers

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Thu Dec 27 10:32:14 CST 2001

"Chris Sparks" <sparksc at hlyw.com> writes:

 % I have a Cisco 5000 (I think) that you could borrow for a term.
 % Would that work?

 The notion of students "borrowing" an item and the idea
 of getting it back in working order are not really in the
 same realm.

 In general, I prefer to be in a situation where the box
 can be taken apart into tiny pieces and no-one will ever notice.

 Otherwise, there can be much anxiety at the end of the course.

 And I find that students already have enough anxiety at the
 end of a course...

 I have had people suggest that they have boxes that they could
 share on the network. IE remote access to routers. But that
 is usually inconsistant with healthy network security,
 so I am shying away from that one too.

 Password recovery is a good topic. I have tons of topics
 that I want to cover. using the cisco web site to find
 passwd recovery procedures is one of them.

 Thank you for your note.

 % Chris Sparks
 %
 % BTW Password recovery is always a great topic.
 %
 % >>> John Sechrest <sechrest at peak.org> 12/26/01 05:53PM >>>
 %
 %
 % 	Hello everyone,
 %
 % 	Please excuse me for stepping in and making a request.
 %
 % 	I am teaching OSU CS 372 next term. It is an introduction to
 % 	networking class.
 %
 % 	In my normal way, I am trying to make this class more hands on.
 % 	But again, in the normal way, I don't have much of a budget to work
 % 	with.
 %
 % 	I would like to get my students up to the elbows in cisco IOS.
 % 	At least to the point that they have to hook a cisco router up
 % 	and write a config file.
 %
 % 	I am hoping that some of you know of people nearby who have a
 % 	closet full of old cisco routers. Is there any chance any
 % 	of you know about anyone who has a spare router? If you know
 % 	of one, I would be glad to put it to use in my class next
 % 	term.
 %
 % 	Classes start on 1/9/2002. If you know of a router that I could
 % 	use, please let me know as soon as you can.
 %
 % 	If you don't know anything about any of this... Then I am sorry
 % 	to have disturbed your email.
 %
 % 	Thank you for any help you can provide with this effort.
 %
 % 	As an aside, I am writing up the final course assignments and
 % 	course schedule this week. If you think there is something
 % 	specific that OSU CS students should know about networking,
 % 	now is the time to tell me. And I will see if I can get
 % 	it into the material.
 %
 %
 %
 %
 %
 % -----
 % John Sechrest          .         Helping people use
 % CEO  PEAK -             .           computers and the Internet
 % Public Electronic         .            more effectively
 % Access to Knowledge,Inc      .
 % 1600 SW Western ,suite 180      .            Internet: sechrest at peak.org
 % Corvallis Oregon 97333               .                  (541) 754-7325
 %                                             . http://www.peak.org/~sechrest
 %
 % TIMTOWTDI
 %