[Ottawa-pm] January meeting?

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Tue Jan 17 09:41:38 PST 2012

On 01/17/2012 07:52 AM, Yanick Champoux wrote:
> On 12-01-16 09:53 AM, Mark Mielke wrote:
>> I'm in and will probably be joined by a fellow enthusiast from work...
>
>     Excellent.
>
>     But... fellow enthusiast? Enthusiast? Aren't you our very own Cato
> the Elder, who cheerfully remind us Perl is dead at every occasion? ;-)

It's hardly dead. :-) We rely on it every day. :-)

In terms of expectations for the future, however, I expect:

1) Perl will return to the background from whence it came (to some
degree this is already true). Silently used for important purposes that
nobody is aware of.
2) It will enjoy a long life in obscurity. People will always prefer to
use it for the purposes it has always performed well at. Data processing
is possibly #1 here.

I'm not sure if the eventual stability and widespread availability of
Perl 6 will change things or not. I don't see mass re-writes of code
from Perl 5 to Perl 6 being a genuine possibility. I think Perl 5 will
live as per I describe above, and Perl 6 will have its own life of
indeterminate length. Perl 5 could well out live Perl 6... but who knows?

--
Mark Mielke<mark at mielke.cc>