Orlando Perl Mongers

Jules perlmonger at tampabay.pm.org
Thu Mar 4 17:44:52 CST 1999

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 02:16:05PM -0500, Rick Osborne wrote:
|Good afternoon, all.  I have some bad news.  :(
|
|My recruitment for Orlando Perl Mongers in the Central Florida area has met
|with very limited success.  However, I am continuing to try and find new
|people to harass, uhh, recruit.  Because of such a low membership count, I
|think I am going to put my plans for a face-to-face on hold for a while
|until we have a significant number of faces.

Oh don't be so down on yourself! You've built it and they will come.
Just keep bashing out the occasional email every couple of weeks and
scour DejaNews. Maybe contact some of the local ISPs (you know what a
cheap bunch they are -- they're bound to be using Perl in some fashion).

Do you have any local user groups you could send a message to? What
about local Universities? Some Linux/*BSD hackers are lurking in a dorm
somewhere just itching to pull themselves into the daylight. Hey, free
pizza almost always works. I even got a mention in the local rag, the
St. Petersburg Times, and that dragged in a couple of people. Ok, I
write a weekly column for said paper and I must admit I abused my
position to get the Ed to run it.

And watch out for that "Cental Florida" thing. If they're in Lakeland,
hands off as they're mine baby! Hehehe.

|I would like to hear from some of the other group owners and how your
|efforts are going ... ?  I am eager to get our group going and am open to
|pointers on how I can do this.  I refuse to believe that only a half-dozen
|people in Central Florida use Perl.  :)

Well, lessee... Florida is the third most populated State (behind
California and New York, if I'm not mistaken). So if your theory is
correct, that would mean there are about ten people in California using it
(excluding Larry Wall) and as many as 20 in NY.

Get into those funky square ones in the middle and I bet it even falls
into negative numbers. Or perhaps thats where all the Tcl and Python
folks live.

--
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad