[Omaha.pm] framework shell shock?

Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Mon Mar 28 14:39:09 PDT 2011

2011/3/28 Dan Linder <dan at linder.org>

> Unfortunately, I'm still old-school CGI with external processes, and an OO
> newb, so I couldn't really wrap my head around the tutorials that the
> Catalyst team put together (
> http://search.cpan.org/~zarquon/Catalyst-Manual-5.8005/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial.pod
> ).

You might prefer to take a look at just bolting on to PSGI and Plack, then.
They give CGI a much needed face lift.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/PSGI/PSGI.pod
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Plack/lib/Plack.pm

For example, the PSGI Hello World app is:

my $app = sub { [ 200, [ 'Content-type' => 'text/plain ], [ 'Hello World!' ]
] };

I've just implemented a git-based wiki for myself building a framework for
myself using Plack and Path::Router.

For myself, I tend to think of Catalyst at doing too much that I don't
usually use (chained dispatch), but not really providing enough (model and
view agnostic) to justify using it. That's not to say it's a bad framework,
just not my preference.

--
Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
sterling at hanenkamp.com