[Omaha.pm] Suggested XML modules... (2011)

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jun 7 12:52:55 PDT 2011

Thanks for the great reply - I'm sure it will come in handy when I search
the archived in another 3+ years for "Perl XML modules". :-)

I like the pure-Perl implementation of XML::XPath; I too don't have a huge
speed requirement (portability over speed in my case wins every time).

I'll have to investigate the XML-Twig module to see if it is pure Perl or
not - it installed under Strawberry Perl and I didn't notice it pulling in a
binary compiled version of any files.  (Jay - Twig appears to be your XML
module of choice - any thoughts on it you want to share?)

Dan

2011/6/7 Christopher Cashell <topher-pm at zyp.org>

> 2011/6/7 Dan Linder <dan at linder.org>
>>
>> Is there a more current page or discussion about Perl XML modules?  I'm
>> not opposed to using XPath (though the Perl Wiki warns against it because it
>> appears to be no longer maintained), but if I come across a show-stopping
>> bug, I don't want to invest a lot of coding time if the module doesn't have
>> an active or responsive development record.
>>

> I don't know of a better page for Perl XML info, but I can offer a bit of
> info on XML::XPath and the suggested replacement.
>
> XML::XPath is a pure-Perl implementation.  I usually grab it for quick and
> dirty stuff because it's easily fast enough for my needs, and doesn't
> require external dependencies.  If you want something similar that is more
> actively maintained, I'd suggest looking at XML::LibXML.  It uses the GNOME
> libxml library to do the heavy lifting, and it also provides a similar xpath
> interface.  In my experience, for small XML::XPath projects, porting form
> XML::XPath to XML::LibXML probably wouldn't take much effort[0].  Matt
> Seargent, the guy behind XML::XPath, was also the (or one of the) initial
> guys behind XML::LibXML, so the xpath part looks pretty similar between
> them.
>
> Most distributions have packages for XML::LibXML, but if you're
> pulling/building it from cpan, you'll need both libxml and its dev/devel
> package with headers and such.
>
> Dan
>>

> [0] Take my experience here with a grain of salt.  The code I was
> converting totaled less than 200 lines, and the XML related stuff was only a
> few dozen lines or so of the code.
>
> --
> Christopher

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)