[Omaha.pm] Mapping Perl structures to a SQL table...

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Sat Oct 31 07:02:10 PDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Dan Linder wrote:
> What I'm looking for is some general comments and discussion about the
> mental task of mapping these hash tables into a SQL table.  I'm not
> really looking for a tool, more a high level discussion about ways to
> store the data and still remain flexible.

An RDBMS is the most flexible thing around. Ignore your current
implementation details and focus on the problems that your data
addresses. Organize your data by business concept (table) that would
make sense to current and future employees of that business. Keep
whatever performance metrics are important to you in mind as you
design the tables.

Write software to map your hashes into that model. Push all the data
into an RDBMS. Benchmark your most common interactions with that data.
Optimize your indexes for those use cases. Benchmark again. Prep all
your tools for your new model. QA. Migrate the data. svn rm the old
stuff.  :)

HTH,