[Omaha.pm] Fumbling with formats and IO:Handle.

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Mon Sep 8 07:29:06 PDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Dave Thacker wrote:
> Objective.
> Read a list of records out of a database table and generate a
> series of roster
> files.  Each file should have an identical two line header.

Since I don't have your database and don't have "$rootdir/teams.dir"
I can't debug your source.

Why use format at all? Instead of this

> format RF =
> @<<<<<<<<<<<  @< @<< @< @< @< @< @<
> $name, $age, $nat, $st, $tk, $ps, $sh, $agg
> .

Try this?

printf(
    "%12s  %2s %3s %2s %2s %2s %2s %2s\n",
    $name, $age, $nat, $st, $tk, $ps, $sh, $agg
);

Since the _TOP magic isn't working the way you want it, don't use
format? You can run sprintf or printf whenever you want.

Or if you *really* want to use formats, can you post a demo of your
problem w/o other dependencies?

HTH,