[Omaha.pm] Command SCP client for Windows

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 00:05:39 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a number of windows systems at work to upload files to a
> central Linux server using scp and authorized keys to allow for hands-off
> automation.
>
> I started with PuTTY's "pscp.exe", but it has some drawbacks I can't work
> around:
>  * The first time it connects, it asks if the ssh fingerprint is OK.  It
> won't let you use a command line switch to work around this.
>  * All connection information is stored in the registry.  I'd really like to
> use something that stores this in simple text files.
>  * The identification key that comes from the Linux server has to be
> modified with PuttyGen to convert it to their format.
>
> I looked at WinSCP, but it needs the PuttyGen converted keys too.
>  * Each location will be reporting back to a different server with a
> different admin, so creating a new key for the client based on their server
> is going to add a lot of overhead to my end.
>
> CygWin crossed my mind, but it's a lot more than I'd like to have my users
> install.
>
> Can anyone point me to a free/gpl/oss command line client for Windows
> systems that performs just the scp/sftp function using an OpenSSH key format
> and saves the configuration information in text files?
>
> I had hoped that the OpenSSH.org folks would have released a Windows
> command-line version of their tools, but all their links point me to GUI
> clients.
>
> On a side topic, anyone ever tackled cross-compiling a Win32 text-only
> program under Linux? :-)
>
> Dan
>
> --
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
> Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
> ** *** ***** ******* *********** *************

The first thing to get over when cross compiling for LinWin are
hardcoded text strings need to be identified as either plain ascii or
unicode.  Win32 development for many years used _T("") instead of ""
to enclose character strings.  On Win95, _T("") became "" because
UNICODE wasn't available.  On WinNT, _T("") would become L"" to denote
16 bit character UNICODE.   WinNT/WinCE would define UNICODE by
default making every character 16 bits that wrapped in _T("").

Further, this means the character pointers would have to be typed out
depending on the _UNICODE macro.  Since command line programs would
almost always use parameters, the compile breaks right at main(int
argc, char *argv[]) because under Win32/UNICODE main was defined to
only take wide characters.  The solution is simple with a #define
macro.

So if main(int argc, wchar_t *argv[] )

Assuming that it is still things are.....  this is getting too long.
If you need further help, let me know.

Robert Townley
402-670-4326