[Omaha.pm] Perl, Python, Ruby or PHP ...

Michael Kolakowski mkolakow at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 14:16:58 PST 2007

Hi,

I have learned both languages so perhaps I can add something useful to this discussion.  I first
learned Perl in Bob's class and I learned Python a couple years later for a job.  I'll try to be
objective, but we all know that's nearly impossible.

-First, saying that most big companies use perl might be a bit of a misnomer.  Both Google and
NASA use Python.  See here: http://www.python.org/about/success/

-Second, there is actually a lot of support for Python out there.  Mailing lists and even O'Reilly
books are available.

-Python has grown a lot over the past 10 years and there is, in fact, a lot you can do with it.
There are many more packages, I think, than most people realize.

So, now for the opinion part.  I learned a heck of a lot in Bob's class.  It was one of my
favorite classes at UNO.  I'm also pleased to hear that there is now a Python class...I'm a bit
out of the loop.  My experience is that they are both cool languages, but a year later I can still
read my Python code, whereas I have to work at it quite a bit to figure out what I was doing in
Perl.  Perl just lends itself to being obfuscated (hence the contest).

Anyhow, I'm just trying to add some food for thought.  I'm not really advocating one over the
other...

Take care,
Michael Kolakowski