[Omaha.pm] Keeping tens of perl installs in sync. Is autobundle the answer?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Wed Aug 29 09:50:07 PDT 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Dave Thacker wrote:

> Today I had to do a server count at the PWIW for licenses.  I have custody of
> a few dozen servers, all running some form of perl.   I'm looking for ways to
> improve configuration management,  including a perl install that uses lots 'o
> modules.   For the OS stuff I'm leaning towares Puppet (1),
> I've heard tales (2), (3) about the autobundle feature in CPAN, and was
> contemplating trying it out to manage our perl installs.   What I'd like to
> do is:
>
> (1) Use the OS install utilities to lay down a basic linux
> (2) Have puppet build config files and packages as needed
> (3) Have (insert cool perl tool here) install all my required packages
> automagically without playing the CPAN return key waltz.
> (4) Go home early :)
>
> DT

I install all of my Perl modules as RPMs.  CPAN is slick as long as
you have <2 machines and loads of time to babysit the Enter key, but
it sucks as a package management system.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University