[Omaha.pm] Ok, I retract any complaints...

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Aug 14 06:34:06 PDT 2007

...I've ever cast against some Perl programmers one-liners...

>From this article: "Crowther's Original Adventure Source Code Found"
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/14/011230

One of the posters wrote:
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=268907&cid=20223235
<quote>
    Increased memory (both RAM & Disc storage) availability has
    allowed us to make our code more readable.
    I looked at the various FORTRAN files and am amazed at the
    spaghetti GOTO maze which, although messy, was probably the
    only way to do things in FORTRAN at the time with no
    structuring capability.

    A random example:

    IF(K.NE.1) MASK1="177*M2(K)
            IF(((A(J).XOR."201004020100).AND.MASK1).EQ.0)GOTO 3
            IF(S.EQ.0) GOTO 2

    Wow! Is that the opposite of self-documenting code or what?
</quote>

Of course I'm sure we could re-write "Adventure" in about 1K of Perl. :)

Dan

- - - -
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
squib, Chicago Posse, Daisy, Minox, FLETC, Kiwi, 1997
RCMP, fissionable, Nuclear, smuggle, WANK, SGI, SADF
primacord, M5, Anonymous, Macintosh Security, wire transfer, AOL, Oratory