[Omaha.pm] IIS server log analysis

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Mar 23 17:10:01 PST 2005

> On Mar 22, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Tegels, Kent wrote:
>> http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/ktegels/archive/2003/12/05/580.aspx
>
> Why do you suppose your VB.NET code benchmarks faster than the Perl?
>
>> Compiled vs. Interpreted.

I thought as a general rule the only inherent efficiency loss was @
compile time (perl script "startup")? So, once you've lost 1/2 second
or whatever for perl to get going, you were on an even keel (generally)
w/ compiled codebase? Yes/no?

Of course there's always going to be differences in operation speeds
(disk read, mem alloc, etc., etc.) for each language/OS combination,
but that's true whether you're talking about 2 compiled languages
competing; or a compiled vs. Perl? Yes/no?

I would expect that any MS language would be more efficiently optimized
for Windows O/S than any open source language, compiled or interpreted,
could ever hope to be since MS hordes the source (low level APIs/hacks
while talking to the filesystem manager, etc)?

Obviously I'm no low-level language dude. Perl made me far too lazy
early in my career for me to want to understand machine code. -grin-