[Omaha.pm] IO/Multiplex.pm warning

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Aug 4 20:19:25 CDT 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Jeff Bisbee wrote:
> * Jay Hannah (jhannah at omnihotels.com) wrote:
>> In terms of pure multitasking capacity and maintenance...
>> (Process 100 simultaneous inbound requests)
>> Is POE typically used on top of Apache/mod_perl? Instead of
>> Apache/mod_perl?
>
> Neither, POE is basically a perl kernel centered around slicing
> execution
> into tiny bits so they don't block. (at its core its an event loop with
> hires time stamps so you can schedule events to execute in the future)

-ponder-   For some reason I had the idea stuck in my noggin that POE
was an OO Perl application server in a box. Since my only concrete
application server experience is with Apache/mod_perl, I was curious
about that relationship...

I understand you use a lot of POE @ work. I figured that was (at least
partially) to support the web sites you run? Are you using Apache? Or
do the POE boxes live elsewhere in your enterprise?