[Oly-pm] Strange.. Python-powered Perl site?

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Mon May 24 16:51:53 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:28:29AM -0700, Dusty Wilson [Zetein] wrote:
> Why are we using Mailman (in Python) when Majordomo is written in our
> native Perl?

Majordomo is some seriously old code. It was written for Perl4. While it
is still under maintenance, the current version will run under Perl
4.036. We're talking super crufty and not all nice and modular.

On the other hand, Mailman is newer, clean and easy to maintain.

Just because you like Perl doesn't mean that you need to eschew nice
software written in other languages.

That said, if you are looking for Perl based mailing list software, then
Siesta looks good. I have no experience with it, but there was a good
article on perl.com about it a few months ago:

  http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/02/05/siesta.html

Have fun,
-Colin.