[Oc-pm] Ideas to improve topic relevance, and participation in OCPM meetings

Ramana V Mokkapati mvr707 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 11:07:27 PDT 2014

Just recapping the ideas we discussed during the last OCPM meeting. Please
review and refine/modify as needed.

   1. Shift/encourage focus from Perl to OSS, Perl can be one point of
   integrating disparate packages.
   2. Solving real world automation needs is the focus, and Perl continues
   to dominate and hence should have natural prominence.
   3. If other languages have complimentary/supplementary value add, we
   should be open - just as we took a deep dive into JS lately (e.g. Angular
   JS, Single Page Apps).
   4. Encourage participants to bring real world problems (distilled down
   to specific automation) for discussion and collective expertise can be
   leveraged for solution.
   5. Monthly challenge problems be made more regular and review of
   disparate perspectives to the design/implementation.
   6. Get more visibility via Social Networking groups (FB, or G+)
   7. Plan for future and introduce Perl6 constructs and sample programs as
   core framework is getting performance improvements and stability.
   8. Long presentations (30-60 mins) be balanced with small talks (e.g. 5
   mins each to illustrate a point).
   9. Visibility to University students would be good - as this helps
   students to rub shoulders with professionals.