[oak perl] Setting Up Perl on a Kubuntu System

Judy Russoniello judyrussoniello at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 10:30:15 PST 2007

greetings, when will be your next meeting. all I know about computers is the email.  paz judy

"Currie, Larry" <lcurrie at calacademy.org> wrote:                Hi Everyone,

  I’ve been away for a while working on other projects, but now I’m back working on a project that uses Perl, and I’m having a bit of a problem getting Perl scripts to be recognized on my newly set up Kubuntu Linux system.  The first time I attempt to use a Perl script is from a php page, and in my Apache error log I see the following error message:

  Script not found or unable to stat: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cbhl, referrer: http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php

  Seeing this message, I then went into my apache2.conf and changed the cgi-bin ScriptAlias from /var/www/cgi-bin to /usr/lib/cgi-bin

  After doing that, I then got the following error messages:
  Premature end of script headers: libedit.pl, referrer: http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php

  Can’t locate cgi-lib.pl in @INC (@INC contains: etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cbhl/libedit.pl line 21., referrer: http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php

  And in the access log is this:
  “POST /cgi-bin/cbhl/libedit.pl HTTP/1.1” 500 637 http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php ....

  One person I spoke to seemed to think that I might need to log in as root and give permission for everyone to access the cgi-bin directory, but I’m wondering if the problem may lie elsewhere.

  Any suggestions?

  Larry Currie

  Lawrence Currie
  Academy Librarian