[oak perl] A Simple Problem

Zed Lopez zed.lopez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 14:09:13 PST 2005

Mark Bole wrote:
>It got me thinking about the following excerpt from the List::Util man
>page, and how the comment "nice to have in the perl core, but..." isn't
>really a big problem with Perl (because it's so easily extensible,
>unlike the proprietary languages I work with).

List::Util is core as of 5.8.

http://perldoc.perldrunks.org/perl58delta.html#New-Modules-and-Pragmata

>"List::Util contains a selection of subroutines that people have
>expressed would be nice to have in the perl core, but the usage would
>not really be high enough to warrant the use of a keyword, and the size
>so small such that being individual extensions would be wasteful."

> http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Scalar-List-Utils/List/Util.html#suggested_additions

CPAN has three different versions of "the things missing from
List::Util", for things with even smaller values of usage-frequency
and difficulty-to-implement-manually (I haven't used them, myself.)

List::Any

http://search.cpan.org/~vparseval/List-Any-0.03/lib/List/Any.pm

List::MoreUtils

http://search.cpan.org/~vparseval/List-MoreUtils-0.09/lib/List/MoreUtils.pm