[oak perl] stay away from nested array(s)?

Kester Allen kester at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 17:38:18 PST 2005

Hi Sandy--

I'd say the book is trying to discourage this type of thing:

    my @array =  ( '00', '01', '02', '03' );
    $array[4] = '04';

in favor of:

    my @array =  ( '00', '01', '02', '03' );
    push @array, '04';

Using push will prevent you from typo-ing "$array[44] = '04';"
which'll result in an array where elements 4 through 43 are undef!

I don't think there's anything wrong with your example:

> @biglist = 1..300000;
> @biggerlist= 1..700000;
> @maybetoobigalist = (@biglist, @biggerlist);

--Kester