[oak perl] Words with 4 consonants in a row

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Thu Jul 15 10:27:00 CDT 2004

A few months ago Tony asked if there were any words in English with
4 consonants in a row. Last night I read one in PO'B's "Fortune of
War": 'phthisis'. There's hordes of other words with 4 consonants in
a row.

The most common substrings are 'nthr', 'nstr', 'phth', and 'ghts'
('enthrall', 'instruct', 'ophthalmology', 'sightsee'). Less common
substrings occur in the words 'lightproof', 'ballplayer', and
'eggplant'.

5 consonants are less frequent but are not impossible ('eightscore').
6 in a row is downright rare ('lengthsman'). My wordlist (scowl, avail
from http://scowl.sourceforge.net ) doesn't have any valid words with
7 consonants.

Bldn, schws vwls