[oak perl] Introduction

Steve Fink sfink at reactrix.com
Tue Jul 13 20:03:38 CDT 2004

George Woolley suggested to me that many times newcomers introduce
themselves to the list.

And from reading through the archives, I can see that he's a bald-faced
liar. I didn't see anyone else doing that.

Or maybe I just didn't read enough. Are the introductions specifically
archived anywhere? I guess I'll go ahead anyway.

My name is Steve Fink. I've heard about PerlMongers for some time, but
only recently got around to looking for a nearby one to go to. I've now
attended the Silicon Valley PM a grand total of one time, and enjoyed
it. Now I'm looking for a more active group, even if I have to drive a
bit farther. What I liked about svpm was getting exposed to people who
use and learn Perl in very different ways than I do. I hang out on
perlmonks.org a fair amount, but that's a typically digital age-ish
self-selected environment: I only look at nodes that are relevant and
similar to the sorts of problems I work on all the time, so don't get a
very good feel for what the other 99.4% of the community is thinking about.

Anyway, back to my bio. Um... <http://foxglove.dnsalias.org/~sfink/>.
But that's too much bother, so:

I've been using Perl for 11 years, addicted for 8. I started out mostly
using it for text munging as a part of other projects, then started
using it a little for system administrationy stuff, then for entire
applications, graphical and otherwise. After that I started using it for
web development (LAMP stuff), and currently have it embedded into a
real-time interactive graphics engine that you may have seen at the
Metreon, Great Mall, or NikeTown. Along the way I've written a few
modules (eg Math::Calc::Units), miserably failed to take over
maintainership of another module (CGI::Test), did a fair amount of early
development work on Parrot (I was the 0.0.8-0.0.11 release pumpking),
and am now infrequently working on the prototype Perl6 compiler
(supposedly focusing on the rule engine but in reality spending almost
all of my time on the compiler infrastructure so that I can get to the
interesting bits of the rule engine.)

I like Perl because it allows me to very directly and quickly express in
code the things that I want to do, and because it makes me feel like an
idiot no matter how much of it I know. I also like talking to other
people about Perl because they make me feel irrelevant -- my experience
and ways of doing things always end up being ridiculously mismatched to
what those other people actually care about. One of the joys of TMTOWTDI.

And I won't be seeing any of you tonight because my sister-in-law is
visiting.