[HRPM] PM Meeting notes...

Lyman Byrd lbyrd at memach.com
Thu Sep 28 08:00:40 CDT 2000

Where do you want to go today? Well personally I would love to go back
to bed but my boss thinks that is not such a good idea so I thought I
would write some observations from last nights Perl Mongers meeting at
Jefferson Labs. First and foremost I would like to thank the Lab for
allowing us to meet there. It is a great facility and there has never
been a problem getting in or anything like that.  Good people!
I am posting this to both the twuug mailing list and the Perl Mongers
mailing list. The reason is to give everyone a chance to see what is
going on at the meetings and to encourage others to attend.  The Twuug,
PLUG, HRLUG and PM  groups are related by a common interest and desire
to make our computing lives a little more diffi.... I mean easier.
Chris did a nice talk on the DBI module. Showing us not only how to use
the commands but little tricks that can only be learned from
experience. If you have any questions about how to use DBI or where
might it be useful then this was the one - but you missed it! I am sure
that it will come back around again.
Following the talk we had time for discussion of various topics
including what we would like to cover. During the discussion it became
obvious to even the casual of observers that this meeting is the only
group that covers programing by itself. This made it possible then to
even think about covering other topics/languages other than Perl!
Things like python, php zope and such things. Chris made the statement
that it is always good to know the weaknesses of the other languages to
show how good Perl is really...It was pretty much decided that next
month we would be privileged to enjoy a talk on TKPerl.  This from a
person who had figured it all out and is using it for a project.
Some seem to think we got the horse before the cart - no wait that's
correct isn't it - whatever - we had introductions at the end of the
meeting. I don't know about the remainder of the group but I learned
some interesting things from the intros.  The first thing was that
everyone was so nice (course anyone who speaks Perl is nice by default
in some circles). Another thing (POP QUIZ !!!) - How many of you knew
that CNU is running a Beowolf cluster? Did you know? I didn't know
that! RC are you paying attention? Maybe twuug or plug can have a road
trip one day and take a look at it. It's about to double in size soon.
There was also a nice young physicists who is translating some of the
documentation for  KDE2 (he happens to be from Germany and will be
going back soon).  In fact I am sure that I was the dullest one there!
In all we had a good time and I look forward to upcoming meetings.
<Advertisement>
 If you are interested in programming then give the Perl Mongers a try.
 </Advertisement>

E-Mail: Lyman Byrd <lbyrd at memach.com>   Tel: 757.543.6801x253
     Date: 28-Sep-2000     Time: 08:59:31
    The opinions expressed here do not
necessarily reflect those of Metro Machine Corp.