[HRPM] topics poll.

chicks at chicks.net chicks at chicks.net
Thu Oct 26 11:04:26 CDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Jeff Duffy wrote:
>  Request #1: Integrating Perl and Java.

Larry did that a few years ago.  It was documented in the Perl Resource
Kit, but my copy of the resource kit seems to be missing that volume.  He
mentioned that project in Camel Lot 6.  I've got the mp3 of that
presentation from Dr. Dobb's and there was a transcription of that talk
somewhere.

>  I would like to see a discussion of various techniques to manage
> exception / error handling in Perl, along with a few nifty tricks to
> minimize the number of expensive eval() calls.

/I/'d like to see that.  Carp.pm would be good to discuss first.

> > 	XML
>
>  Advanced XML: writing validating parsers, and the DTDs that accompany
> them.

So, can we sign you up to do a few months of XML presentations?  :-)

> > 	advanced data structures
>
>  How about a talk on data structure concepts relating to design
> decisions? For instance, benefits/disavantages to building hash tables
> in memory vice dbm files on disk?

That'd be good.  I'll try to mention that next month.

> What about coverage of building sorting algorithms when qsort (the
> default) doesn't turn out to be the best choice?

For example?

> > 	OOP
>
>  I think a talk on the life-cycle of an object would be valuable, from
> instantiation to destruction, using some of the more esoteric Perl
> functions (like AUTOLOAD, DESTROY, etc).

We should probably get people a little more OOP knowledged first.

>  I would also like to see good coverage of how to exploit tie() in an
> OO environment to minimize object complexity for the end user.

That'd be good.  I've played with tie a very little bit, but it's very
cool.

> > 	regular expressions
>
>  I think a discussion on regex efficiency issues would be valuable,
> particularly on how to best 'narrow down' your patterns to effect the
> shortest correct match, and what sort of things to avoid.

I can do that.  I need to significantly rework my regex content, and I'll
try to add that in.

--
</chris>

"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
           -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd edition, June '72