[HRPM] CPAN.pm sutomatic upgrade?

chicks at chicks.net chicks at chicks.net
Tue Oct 3 12:29:43 CDT 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Lyman Byrd wrote:
> On 29-Sep-2000 chicks at chicks.net wrote:
> >  I've seen CPAN.pm installing 5.6 and had to
> > kill
> > it on a couple of occasions.
>
> Is this a good thing?

In some respects, it may be.  But given the 5.6 incompatibilities, it's
bad in my view.

> Is this the normal behavior.

It sees that it can only upgrade certain packages because they're included
in 5.6.

> I have not used this module very much but rather just use the perl
> installed with a distro.  What does everyone else think about this?

CPAN.pm is normally very, very convenient.  If you need to install 50
modules, it will download, compile, test, and install them for you in a
couple of hours.  There are some modules (some of the net and DBD ones)
that require input so you can't just run off and leave it unattended, but
it's otherwise a major timesaver.

--
</chris>

Adults are obsolete children. -Dr. Seuss, humorist, illustrator, and author