[HRPM] MySQL v. Postgres -- The Eternal Battle.

Jeff Duffy jeff at alanne.com
Wed Nov 15 20:41:50 CST 2000

On Tuesday 14 November 2000 00:46, you wrote:

> > I was looking at PHPBuilder.com and found this interesting article
> where Postgres 7.1 went against MySQL 3.23.26beta and kicked its ass
> with steel-toed boots.

 Dude. I am a Postgres backer. but there's quite a bit wrong with this
picture, not the least of which is that he has a single web page that
requires 16 (!) queries to build. I'm already not impressed with this
guy's coding skills.

>I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind
> telling me what is wrong with this picture so that I can be a wiser
> consumer in the future.

 Well,

 First, it's a benchmark, and a home-grown one at that, so it's fairly
useless. Second, comparing Postgres and MySQL in that context is silly,
since they are two different pieces of software aimed at two different
markets. Lastly, if this guy says that head to head, without needing
any advanced functionality, that Postgres smoked MySQL by that large a
margin, he's either lying, smoking crack, or both.

 Now, if you want to know why I don't use MySQL for tracking systems
data, but I do use Postgres ... :)

 Jeff

--
For most people, the perceived usefulness of a computer language is
inversely proportional to the number of theoretical axes that the